This guide will provide a quick walkthrough on launching your own FileCatalyst Server and licensing it on an Amazon EC2 instance.
FileCatalyst Server v3.7.2
Launching FileCatalyst Server from the AWS Marketplace.
- Visit the FileCatalyst Direct Server link on the AWS Marketplace: https://aws.amazon.com/marketplace/pp/B07CLFFHVX
- Click Continue to Subscribe. You will need to sign into your AWS Account to continue.
- You have two options here. The one we are going to describe is the "1-Click Launch". The other one is the "Launch with EC2 Console" which takes you to the EC2 Console page where you can customize your instance.
Using the 1-Click Launch
- Select the version of the FileCatalyst Server you would like to use. We recommend using the option with the latest Release Date:
- Choose the Region that you would like to use from the drop-down list.
- Skip ahead one section and select the VPC Settings you would like to use:
- You will notice the warning in the EC2 Instance box has disappeared. Choose the size of the EC2 instance you would like to spin up.
- When initially deploying the FileCatalyst Server, we strongly recommend that you use the preconfigured Security Group called "Create new based on seller settings". You will be able to modify these settings on your EC2 dashboard later.
- To connect to the Ubuntu machine you will need a KeyPair. If there is an existing KeyPair you would like to use select it from the drop-down list.
- When you are ready, scroll to the top of the page and click on the "Launch with 1-Click" button. You will be directed to a summary page. Click on the EC2 Console link to get access to your dashboard.
Connecting to your FileCatalyst Server
- From your EC2 dashboard, you will be able to see the instances that you have currently active. When the instance has completed set up (Status checks 2/2), select it and click on the "Connect" button at the top. This will show you a pop up on how to connect to your instance using PuTTY.
Amazon has provided documentation to assist with your connection to the Ubuntu deployment here: https://docs.aws.amazon.com/console/ec2/instances/connect/docs
Getting a license key
- Connect to the FileCatalyst Server using PuTTY or a Terminal. Switch to the elevated root user using:
- Change your working directory so that you are in the FileCatalyst Server installation path by executing:
- Once you are in the folder, you will need to stop the FileCatalyst Server service if it is running.
service fcserver stop
Your expected output should be:
- Set execute permissions on the launch scripts in the installation folder. Make sure your current working directory is still /opt/utechsoft/server/. Run the following command to set the permissions:
chmod u+x *.sh
- The next step is to install a license key on the FileCatalyst Server. Run ./fc_server_console.sh and the FileCatalyst Server will attempt to start up. At this point, a request string will be shown:
Send the request string to your Sales Rep at FileCatalyst indicating what type of license you would like and how many concurrent connections you need. They will send you a key with the appropriate features enabled. Please copy and paste the Request String. Taking a screen capture of the request string may delay you getting a License key.
If you do not have the contact for a Sales Rep please send the Request String to email@example.com
Applying the license key
- Make sure your FileCatalyst Server is off before you proceed. You can run ps -ef | grep java in the terminal and make sure no instance is running. If you do see that there is an instance running please stop the application.
- Under /opt/utechsoft/server directory, edit fcconf.conf in a text editor. Paste your license key you received after the = sign:
## License key
FCServer.server.config.license=<Enter Key Here>
- Save the file.
Enabling the remote administration client
- To change the Remote Administration password run the following command:
java -jar FileCatalystServer.jar -passwdadmin
The output should look like:
- Open the fcconf.conf in a text editor and search for the following:
Change it to:
Save the file. You have now enabled the remote admin with a password. The username is admin. You can change this in the fcconf.conf file or use the UI once you log in.
Launching the FileCatalyst Server
Enable Masquerade Address
The FileCatalyst Server itself now needs to know that it's working through a NAT device. To enable this:
- Open the Server Remote Admin Application.
- Select Advanced on the left-hand side.
- Check the box to Enable Masquerade Address.
- In the address field, enter the Public IP. This is not the IP of the machine running the FileCatalyst Server. If the network device acts as a gateway between your network and the public internet, you can find the public internet address quite easily by browsing from any machine to this site: http://whatismyip.com
Alternatively, you can obtain your Public IP (IPv4) from your EC2 instance management console. Do not use your DNS.
- Hit Apply.
Quick Start Guide: How to add External File System Storage on the FileCatalyst Server